Wake From Death is a character based third person shooter created by a team of 9 students in the span of 3 Months. It features a Rotating Ability based Combat System where the player must seek power ups in world to gain different abilities which help them progress. With these powers, the player traverses through a world where Cyberpunk meets Feudal Japan filled to the brim with Deadly Robots and Rival Samurai.
I was the sole person in charge of Animation for this project. Using the models provided by the other artists: I brought the characters and enemies to life with my animations to make the world feel more dynamic. Coming in alone as an animator was definitely a challenge since I had no one else to rely on in order to get the work done. Due to this, however, I had a level of ownership on how the game looks and feels that was unique to me. I think one can see my strength as an animator through the game and it's characters.
Despite being the sole animator I had a lot of help from my leads who, despite not being animators themselves, provided invaluable feedback and direction which helped me push my skills further. Despite coming unto the team post prototype they welcomed me and quickly got me started in the pipeline.
Most animations were made by using custom recorded footage as a reference point. I then went frame by frame to create the animations to match the reference while adding a bit of dramatization for certain poses to make them more visually exciting. In the end the game looks situated in realism while also sporting some of the campy flare of the classic Samurai Movies.
• Work with leads to create animations that support the aesthetic and creative vision
• Create all animations used in game such as: movement cycles, attack, hurt, and death
• Use live references to ensure realistic and natural looking animations
• Utilize animation fundamentals to create dramatic but believable character animations
• Work with tech team to make sure animations were implemented properly and looped seamlessly